Merritt man strikes it rich on Lotto



Merritt man strikes it rich on Lotto

By Phillip Woolgar - Merritt Herald
Published: February 13, 2013 4:00 PM
Updated: February 13, 2013 4:06 PM

What are the odds of someone from the Nicola Valley winning the lottery? Not very good, but that’s exactly what happened on Tuesday when Merritt’s Mitchell Shuter received a cheque for over $11 million.

“My first reaction was disbelief,” he said. “I was a little shaky when I first discovered the win. I had to count all the commas to make sure I was reading it right and seeing millions, not thousands.”

The 50-year-old matched all six of his numbers in the Feb. 6 Lotto 6/49 draw to win $11,073,738.

“I plan on taking a quick Las Vegas trip to celebrate,” the life-long Nicola Valley resident said, adding that he also plans to invest some of the winnings. “Once I’ve graduated from the Nicola Valley Institute of Technology, I want to go to Italy to watch the World Masters this summer. I really like watching baseball and it occurred to me that I can just go there.”

The ticket was purchased at Courtesy Corner in Lower Nicola, but Shuter was in Vancouver when he found out he won.

“I was there for a doctor’s appointment, and I was going to buy my Lotto Max, and I checked my Lotto 6/49 from Wednesday and the whole screen lit up,” he said. “Yeah, it was pretty amazing.”

Read More